Afya Bora Consortium Fellowships in Global Health Leadership will be accepting applications for the 2016–2017 Fellowship year, beginning August 2015. There are 20 positions available for health professionals interested in a 12-month fellowship (starting July 2016) in one of our African partner countries (Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Cameroon).
The Afya Bora Consortium is a partnership of eight academic health centers, five in Africa and four in the United States. The five pairs are:
- University of Nairobi and the University of Washington
- University of Botswana and the University of Pennsylvania
- Makerere University and Johns Hopkins University
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences and the University of California, San Francisco
- University of Buea and Johns Hopkins University
The Afya Bora Fellowship will provide trainees with a set of practical skills that will prepare them for leadership positions in government, non-government, and academic health institutions in developing countries.
The 12 month training program has 2 components:
- A eight-week Core Curriculum, plus four distance learning modules
- Two four-and-a-half month assignments to sites, such as Ministries of Health, NGOs, etc. in partner African countries.
In order to be eligible to apply all applicants MUST meet the following criteria
- Be a citizens of US, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, Tanzania or Cameroon
- Meet ONE of the following education requirements
- Medical applicants need to have a M.D. or MBChB with a MMed, MPH or Masters degree in related field.
- Nursing applicants need to have a Masters degree in Nursing, Public Health or a related field (PhD preferred), or substantial work experience.
- Other Public Health professionals (those without a clinical degree) must have a Doctoral degree in Public Health or a related field